Touch-a-Truck is returning to PS 295! Trucks, vans, buses, and large vehicles of every description will once again be available for children to sit in, climb on, marvel at, and generally have their way with. This spring, the event will be held May 4, 2013 from noon – 5:00 p.m., rain or shine, on 18th St. between 6th and 7th Avenues. Tickets are $5 each (no charge for infants under six months).
Over 25 vehicles are scheduled to take part, along with their drivers/operators, who will be on hand to explain how these automobiles work and what purpose they serve in the community. Highlights include:
- Ft. Hamilton Army Reserve Humvee—NEW!
- FDNY fire engine
- NYPD police car
- DSNY garbage truck
- Concrete mixer
- Color Wheelz Van
- Tow Truck
- Bucket trucks/cherry pickers
- School bus
- Sean Casey Animal Adoption Van
- Green-Wood Cemetery Trolley
- Puppet Show from the NYC Parks Department Performance Truck—NEW!
- Construction trucks—NEW!
- A special mini car section—NEW!
- And many more!
Several of Brooklyn’s famed gourmet food trucks will also be selling savory treats on-site, including:
- Amazing authentic Greek street food from Souvlaki GR
- Gourmet Colombian fusion street food from Palenque
- The innovative and contemporary Kimchi Taco Truck
- Delicious sweets from The Treats Truck
- NYC’s favorite creamy frozen yogurt from The Yogo Truck
- Grilled cheese and more from Gorilla Cheese
Craft projects and bouncy houses offer a change of scenery, while music and dancing let kids work off the energy of the day’s excitement.
Touch-A-Truck is a fundraiser for PS 295, helping us fill the gap left by budget cuts and provide the best possible education for its students. Proceeds from the last two years have funded a part-time teacher to help reduce class sizes in the fourth and fifth grades.
Touch-a-Truck is sponsored by Fairway, Greschler’s, Target, Home Depot, Fresh Direct, Union Market, Checklist Home Services, Gowanus Bay Terminal, Park Slope Plumbing, Paul’s Signs, Quadrozzi Concrete Corp., Rolling Press, Sidecar Restaurant, Sunshine Transportation, Mindy Pediatric Dentistry and The Green-Wood Beer Garden.
You can learn more about Touch-a-Truck in the New York Observer article that called it the best PTA event in all NYC: NY Observer NY Schools Project article